Sunday, August 12, 2012

Open Mic Fun!

I am impulsive.  It's both a strength and weakness.  Sometimes I don't really think before speaking....but sometimes I find myself in places that turn out pretty cool.  Last Monday, I caught wind of a monthly open mic down at C2G, a music venue/ministry in downtown Fort Wayne.

I didn't make it early by any stretch so I fell into the 16th spot out of 17 performers for the night.  But I quickly made friends with a couple and their precious baby Charlotte, who had driven down from Goshen, IN for the evening. Amber and Nate were fantastic company, jovial, supportive, and welcoming.

It's been awhile since I've been to an open mic.  I forget they are such "open" venues where the acts can range from the solo singer/songwriter, to the girl singing along to her favorite CD.... and let's not forget the full bands, and the smooth rapper who had to be reminded it was a family friendly venue and to keep it "G" rated.

By the time I was up, there was only an intimate crowd left, but enthusiastic nonetheless.  The host earlier in the night had encouraged all the artists to share where we could find their next gig, or their music.  So jokingly as I got up I said, "Well, you can see me in my weekly gig at Saint Joseph UMC, Sunday mornings at 9 and 11:15."  After my song was done and I stepped off stage, an older gentleman approached and asked, "What time are your services again?" :o)

Quite delightful to find myself surrounded by other music lovers on what otherwise would have been a quiet Monday night...oh, I guess there was that softball game most of my friends went to....but we all know how I feel about ball games currently....

And I may or may not have plans to travel up to Goshen soon and visit my new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment