Saturday, August 11, 2012

St Joe Pickle Festival

Yesterday was cloudy, drizzly, cool, and the perfect day to go galavant around the small town of St Joe, Indiana.  And when I say small...I mean, some four hundred current residents small.... lovely nonetheless.
It was the 16th annual Pickle Festival, complete with a pickle decorating contest, food vendors, musical acts, a tractor pulled train, and various bounce houses and artisan booths.  I had the distinct pleasure of spending the day with little Tessa and Tucker (and their parents), and Kevin.....Although Tessa is the only one I carried through parts of the day....:o)
Tucker and Tessa
I have missed small town festivals.  Fort Wayne has its fair share of "festivals", but that mostly describes the type of food and musical entertainment that will be available at Headwaters Park on any given weekend.  These small town festivals are guaranteed to bring a certain amount of oddities like a golf cart ride over to a hundred year old church where a rummage/bake sale is being held in the basement.  Or a pickle factory tour on the outskirts of town complete with hairnet and pickle samples.  And it can't hurt to have a cemetery to peruse some hundred yards away from the main festival area. Yep, that is what makes my heart incredibly happy.

Miss Priss....Tessa and I's most delightful pickle.
 Heart Attack lunch......
 I slipped away to the cemetery for a few minutes and found this sweet civil war memorial... Inscription read: One country, One flag.
 Pickle Factory Tour led to our donning of some pretty awesome hairnets!
 Seriously....how cute is this face?!?!?!?!
Tess and I didn't win the pickle decorating contest, Tucker actually won for the 0-4 year old category....funny thing is....a lot of his ideas he took from us.... I feel the need to brush up on my vegetable decorating skills and head back next year for a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment